Are you ready to join an organization where you can make an extraordinary impact every day?
Imagine all Americans enjoying ideal cardiovascular health free of heart disease and stroke. At the American Heart Association and American Stroke Association, we get to work toward that goal every day. Is it easy? No. Is it worthwhile? Absolutely.
This is satisfying and challenging work that makes a real difference in people’s lives. We are where you can achieve professional growth with personal fulfillment. We are where you can connect people to making a lifesaving impact. We are where you can partner with individuals, schools, lawmakers, healthcare providers and others to ensure everyone has access to healthier lifestyle choices and proper healthcare. The American Heart Association is where you can make an extraordinary impact.
The American Heart Association (AHA) has an excellent opportunity for a Development Consultant within our Western States Region. This is a home-office based position with location flexible to Western States Region (Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, and Washington). The work environment is primarily in an office environment but involves regular work performed from remote locations for business meetings and events which are outdoors.
The Development Consultant is responsible for region-wide consulting to Heart Challenge, Heart Ball, and Go Red for Women. This person will serve as a liaison in communicating and training on fundraising strategies and best practices including revenue generation through sponsorship, individual giving, peer to peer, participant income and volunteer structure and management. In conjunction with the campaign’s implementation/ management team, supports the tracking, reporting and monitoring of campaign revenue and consults on developing strategies and identifying and responding to training needs around achieving campaign goals. Supports corporate partners and strategic alliances involved in Heart Challenge, Heart Ball and Go Red for Women and other cause campaigns as defined by the AHA.
- Consult on the planning and execution of development campaigns and market wide goals in assigned markets in accordance with best practices and Western States goals and ensures the success of each event. Provides expertise, coaching, and strategic guidance for fundraising campaigns including Heart Ball, Go Red For Women, CycleNation, STEM, Heart Walk to ensure aggressive growth of events and focused attention by staff year-round. Includes assisting markets with Evaluation and Planning meetings as needed.
- Conduct monthly or quarterly strategy meetings with assigned markets to develop strategic plans for execution around revenue goals and ensure best practices are being followed and timelines are being adhered to. Gaps and potential issues are identified in these meetings and strategies are developed to increase results.
- Provide regular follow up for all markets based on timeline and market/staff needs. These are scheduled on an ongoing basis and will ensure regular support.
- Lead and facilitate strategy meetings, keeping them focused on specific actions and plans that will move them to goal.
- With awareness of each market staff dynamic, conduct regular touch points with campaign staff and ED and VP and SVP outside of the strategy meetings to ensure that there is a flow of information and that items from the strategy meeting are being executed based on the schedule that is set forward. Follow up with the SVP to recap action items, concerns, and focus areas.
- Support and ensure execution of National and Western States policies, procedures, standards, benchmarks, best practices and guidelines.
- Interact with market and serve as a resource they actively seek out for support and guidance.
- Participate in the sourcing of high performing staff and volunteers who are corporate and community leaders, reflective of the AHA priorities and community demographics.
- Influence the utilization of volunteer committee(s) to assist in the planning, development, and implementation of events.
- Identify trends and develop strategies to achieve fundraising goals for the region and organization overall and not limited to the markets in which they work.
- Integrate and strategize Issue based fundraising into every campaign
- Facilitate Collaboration and Interdependence across Departments
- Influence maximum collaboration with Mission Advancement, Corporate Relations, and other partners to elevate donor engagement with the AHA and leverage development campaigns to cultivate and steward prospective and current donors to expand outright giving.
- Partner with Health Strategies staff to ensure effective relationships are maintained with community health organizations and to ensure integration and collaboration with health equity, quality improvement initiatives, heart and stroke initiatives and advocacy.
- Ensure integration and collaboration of staff across functions and markets to maximize donor contribution and sponsorship potential and impact. Includes Mission Advancement, Corporate Relations, Workplace Giving, Charitable Estate Planning, ECC, Development and Health Strategies.
- Collaborate with National Leads to be the voice and advocates for the regional and market staff as well as the connector of national strategies into the local markets.
- Monitor Campaign Revenue
- Regularly (weekly or daily) analyze campaign reports and indicators to identify flags at the region, market, and campaign level. Research, develop, build, and execute new strategic initiatives for the Western States to increase revenue in field campaigns.
- Provide oversight of the Western States Stewardship Standards for all core products, including tracking to gold standards, providing key resources, and building plans to ensure all events and driving to consistent stewardship.
- Monitor the financial activities, income, and expenditures, of assigned markets.
- Create Tools & Resources
- Identify and create tools for staff. Examples include draft communications, job descriptions for volunteers, sponsorship templates, stewardship plans (in coordination with IG team), etc.
- Ensure all Western States resources are in alignment with national resources and training materials.
- Develop & Train Staff
- Help facilitate a New Staff Onboarding program and other development trainings throughout the year
- Along with your team, co-lead the monthly Western States Development calls by identifying focus areas for each month, recruiting speakers to share successes, prepping speakers, creating and updating resources to go along with the monthly topic.
- Train new staff in your markets on campaign best practices and managing volunteers.
- Be a resource for all staff and share up to date documents and examples as needed for them to be successful in their role.
- Provide on-site coverage and campaign management to divisions as identified during staff vacancies to help ensure continuity and campaign momentum.
- Manage customer and campaign information utilizing AHA systems accurately, timely and completely in accordance with established guidelines. Ensure the integrity and security of donor information and adhere to the Special Event Cash Handling policies.
- Proactively ensures timely communication with internal and external partners and customers, supporting collaboration in account management and activities to achieve shared goals.
Want to help get your resume to the top? Take a look at the experience we require:
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience with:
- Demonstrated track record in fundraising, sales, or marketing.
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, train and manage volunteers with success in delegating and accomplishing goals through empowering volunteers.
- Effective oral, written and presentation communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to develop collaborative working relationships internally and externally
- Ability to organize and plan a complex campaign in a highly dynamic environment
- Ability to read, comprehend and analyze financial reports and translate complex data in an actionable, understandable format for all audiences.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Demonstrated ability to influence outcomes without direct/formal authority.
Here are some of the preferred skills we are looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree may be preferred in supporting the required level of skill, knowledge and experience required.
- Proven track record of executing successful fundraising campaigns with 6 figure gifts
- Knowledge of corporate and community networks.
- Knowledge of AHA’s mission and programs.
Compensation & Benefits
Our Rewards & Benefits package not only gives you the total benefits you want, but also goes above and beyond with innovative programs to develop your skills – helping you grow and thrive at the American Heart Association.
To help you be successful, you will have access to Heart U, our award-winning corporate university as well as comprehensive trainings, tools and resources offered locally and through our national organization.
#TheAHALife is our company culture, our way of life, reflecting our diversity and inclusion, our focus on work-life satisfaction, and our Guiding Values – check out this hashtag on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter today!
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
So, are you ready to work for the largest voluntary health organization dedicated to fighting heart disease, stroke and other cardiovascular diseases?
The American Heart Association’s 2024 Goal: Every person deserves the opportunity for a full, healthy life. As champions for health equity, by 2024, the American Heart Association will advance cardiovascular health for all, including identifying and removing barriers to health care access and quality.
At American Heart Association | American Stroke Association, diversity, inclusion, and equal opportunity applies to both our workforce and the communities we serve as it relates to heart health and stroke prevention.
This position not a match with your skills? Click here to see other opportunities.
Be sure to follow us on Twitter #TheAHALife
EOE/Protected Veterans/Persons with Disabilities
Location Anywhere – Western States
Posted Date 2 weeks ago (8/2/2022 7:52 PM)
Requisition ID 2017-1783
Job Category Field Campaigns
Additional Locations US-CA-Irvine | US-CA-Los Angeles | US-CA-San Diego | US-CA-San Francisco | US-NV-Las Vegas | US-AZ-Phoenix | US-WA-Seattle | US-OR-Portland | US-UT-Salt Lake City | US-HI-Honolulu …
Position Type Full Time
Location: CA-San Diego