Now is the time to join us and make a difference. Be a relentless force for a world of longer, healthier lives. Here at the American Heart Association, you matter and so does your career.
The American Heart Association has an excellent opportunity for a Sr. Legal Counsel – International based out of our National Center office located in Dallas, TX!
This position will work in a hybrid setting (in office 1-3 days a week as needed) in our Dallas office.
The Association offers many resources to help you maintain work-life harmonization through your changing needs and life situations. To help you be successful, you will have access to Heart U, our award-winning corporate university, as well as additional training and support, locally.
#TheAHALife is our company culture, our way of life, reflecting our diversity and inclusion, our focus on work-life harmonization and our Guiding Values. Discover why you will Be Seen. Be Heard. Be Valued™ at the American Heart Association by following us on LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and at heart.org.
Under the direction of the VP, Deputy General Counsel, this attorney will function primarily as legal support to the Association’s international business operations as well as a moderate load of domestic (US) corporate sponsorship agreements of average complexity from across the enterprise. Legal matters span across all international business issues, from trademark rights to contracting with foreign governmental entities, foreign labor and employment law issues, anti-money laundering and FCPA compliance, and licensing, registrations, and regulatory and tax compliance required to conduct business in other countries. As with other members of the legal team, you will closely with multiple departments and entities in the Association’s group of entities, such as Finance, International Healthcare Business Solutions, HR, Business Technology, and Communications.
The successful candidate will be a fast learning, creative problem solving, relationship developing, professional who appreciates having a worthy mission to support through various delivery models.
Professional License/specialized Training.
- Licensed to practice law without restriction in Texas (other jurisdictions may be considered)
- Five (5) – Eight (8) years of related experience as an attorney in contract drafting and negotiation and reviewing skills with working knowledge of intellectual property law, trademark, regulatory compliance issues, corporate governance, registration, and formation, and, ideally, healthcare facility operations and quality improvement programs
- Actual substantive experience with international business contracts
- Experience managing outside counsel or local counsel in a variety of legal matters, ideally with international business activities
- Have working understanding of US IRS regulations and guidance for 501(c)(3) public charities to be able to deliver general legal support to the AHA enterprise, including its for-profit subsidiary entities
- Able to shift quickly between substantive issues and work with a broad range of personalities under short time constraints in this challenging and stimulating role
- Experienced negotiator for technology product and services agreements, typically with healthcare systems, government agencies and post-secondary institutions in other countries, initially focused on the EMEA region
- Understand data privacy, cross-border data transfers, data use and patient consents, intellectual property and import/export laws related to training equipment and digital course content
- Understand permanent establishment risks and general tax considerations for international activities, including transfer pricing, direct and indirect taxes
- Negotiate digital content license agreements
- Support, direct and oversee local counsel and other subject matter experts across multiple jurisdictions
- Strong legal writing skills
- Work collaboratively and dynamically with other attorneys, inhouse and out, and a full range of staff from across the Association
- Ability to digest complex material into easily consumed content for non-legal staff and deliver training and informational presentations
- Well-organized and attentive to details, including administrative tasks
- Arabic language fluency strongly preferred
- Familiarity with research and publications
- Experience supervising non-lawyers, law students, and junior lawyers
- Experience with GDPR and similar data privacy laws outside the U.S.
- Experience with business structures and “corporate veil” issues among related entities
- Experience with intellectual property rights/rights in data licensing agreements
- Experience with commercial contracts with at least one party in the Europe-Middle East-Africa (EMEA) region
- Working knowledge of trademark and copyright law
Compensation & Benefits
The American Heart Association invests in its people. Here are the main components of our total rewards package. Visit Rewards & Benefits to see more details.
- Compensation – Our goal is to ensure you have a competitive base salary. That’s why we regularly review the market value of jobs and make adjustments, as needed.
- Performance and Recognition – You are rewarded for achieving success by merit increases and incentive programs, based on the type of position.
- Benefits – We offer a wide array of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance, along with a robust retirement program that includes an employer match and automatic contribution. As a mark of our commitment to employee well-being, we also offer an employee assistance program, employee wellness program and telemedicine, and medical consultation.
- Professional Development – You can join one of our many Employee Resource Groups (ERG) or be a mentor/mentee in our professional mentoring program. HeartU is the Association’s national online university, with more than 100,000 resources designed to meet your needs and busy schedule.
- Work-Life Harmonization – The Association offers Paid Time Off (PTO) at a minimum of 16 days per year for new employees. The number of days will increase based on seniority level. You will also have a total of 12 paid holidays off each year, which includes several days off at the end of the year.
- Tuition Assistance – We support the career development of all employees. This program provides financial assistance to employees who wish to further their education and career in relation to their current duties and responsibilities, or for potential future positions in the organization.
The American Heart Association’s 2024 Goal: Every person deserves the opportunity for a full, healthy life. As champions for health equity, by 2024, the American Heart Association will advance cardiovascular health for all, including identifying and removing barriers to health care access and quality.
At American Heart Association | American Stroke Association, diversity, inclusion, and equal opportunity applies to both our workforce and the communities we serve as it relates to heart health and stroke prevention.
This position not a match with your skills? Click here to see other opportunities.
EOE/Protected Veterans/Persons with Disabilities
Posted Date 2 weeks ago (3/17/2023 4:59 PM)
Requisition ID 2023-10296
Job Category Legal
Position Type Full Time